Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Salt Lake Half Marathon



Sunday morning I got a phone call. It was April suggesting that we run the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. We decided that since we had to run 13 miles anyway we should at least have fun doing it. So we all signed up to run. We got up at 3:45am to meet together at 4:30am to drive to Salt Lake so we could board Trax at 5:30am. I don't think I have ever in my life woke up that early. We rode Trax from the ESA to the University of Utah (starting line). We waited there for about an hour. It was fun to watch the bikers start, then the early marathoners. The wheel chair racers started right before us, then it was our turn. It was neat because there was a choir rocking out for us. They sang the National Anthem for us and sang a song called "Get Up and Get Going." We thought it was kind of ironic. Then we ran like the wind for 2 hours 15 minutes and 45 seconds. I had a blast! The coolest part was crossing the finish line at the Gateway. We ran down 400 South and into the Gateway. When you entered the Gateway there were gates to hold back the crowd and we got to run down the middle. Everyone was cheering for me and Joy and ringing their bells. The adrenaline was pumping, me and Joy just took off at full speed to the finish line. When we crossed the finish line there were lots of friendly people to greet you. First they handed me water, then offered me a blanket to keep me warm. I saw them giving metals away and Joy had one but I didn't so I went back to get mine, I was not leaving until I got my metal to prove to Justin I had finished the race. He thinks every Saturday I sip tea and eat crumpets with the girls. Anyway continuing down the line, people kept handing you things like bananas, hot dogs, fruit bowls, popsicle, and treats. I felt like I was back on a cruise. All they wanted me to do was to keep eating. My favorite part was were you offer your shoe to the lady behind the fence and she took the chip off your shoe. That was great! I felt like royalty. I'm so glad we decided to run this race, it was a blast. It also gave me insight in what to expect at the Ogden Marathon, the big race we have been training for. Thanks mom for watching my kids so I could run! Thanks Girls!

If you go to the Painter Family blog, April has a video of us.

1 comment:

The Lakes said...

Angie!! Welcome to the blogging world! I was so excited to come across your blog! You have the cutest family! Look forward to the Marathon pics! Loved the 1/2 marathon pics! You guys rock! Can't wait to start playing volleyball again!